Sunday, April 19, 2009

Red-headed anyone?

Trail Wood #85 Earl Plato

Birders of all kinds love to see the flash of red of the Red-headed woodpecker.
Swooping low across Halloway Bay Road on the outskirts of Marcy Woods is a sight I never tire of seeing. Downy and Red-bellied woodpeckers were at Trail Wood but no Red-headed that July day. Strikingly colored is this jay-sized bird. The photo shows the entire head is bright red, wings and tail bluish-black, white breast - large white wing patch on each wing and a distinctive white rump. My best sighting was at Iroquois National Refuge in western New York. Ernie Giles, noted naturalist, and I saw one pose for us several minutes. Very memorable.I have included a photo I took at Crawford Lake in Ontario. I called it the Woodpecker tree. Red-headed woodpeckers like dead trees. They nest in the holes and store nuts and acorns in holes and crevices.
One beautiful bird, eh.
Note; In all the times I have seen this bird I never heard its call. Have you?

No comments: