Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Owl Moves On

Trail Wood #79 Earl Plato

Ed Teale headed quickly to where the crow mobbing was taking place on that April 16th. “ I hurry through the woods toward Old Cabin Hill and the center of the clamor. As I draw nearer I slow down to a silent, stealthy approach, hoping to observe the activity of the attackers or perhaps even catch a glimpse of the harassed owl. But other eyesight is keener than mine. Suddenly a change occurs in the cawing. A new note enters in. I have been sighted among the trees - a man, a greater menace than an owl. The din of the birds moves away. It dissipates as it goes, subsiding into a ragged cawing of single crows.”
Writer’s note: I have walked a few of the paths of Trail Wood in 2007. That was a lasting thrill. By sharing some of Edwin Way Teale’s daily walks I hope you appreciate the man and his astute observations in Nature at his Trail Wood sanctuary. Earl Plato’s e-mail - plato1@cogeco.ca

No comments: