Monday, March 30, 2009

Teale's observation

Trail Wood #62 by Earl Plato

Edwin Teale was a great observer of nature. In an early April log he wrote the following:” The live and let-live nature of the rabbit. Have you ever considered it? For some time I have been thinking about the aspects of its life as I lean against the old stone wall. Something I see below me has brought it to mind.
Hopping about in search of lush grass ot succulent herbaceous plants, a rabbit exhibits none of the weasel’s bloodlust, none of the fox’s predatory intensity. Its movements are relaxed, its attitude inoffensive. It poses no threat to its fellow creatures.”
Writer’s note: That setting - on that July 1st, 2007 - the old stone wall was virtually covered with grape vines - a great place to seek refuge for cotton tails.
Yes, I want to return to Trail Wood some day.

No comments: