Monday, March 30, 2009

The Odd Couple

Trail Wood # 61 Earl Plato
Writer’s note: Ed teale on an early April
Walk in Trail Wood sees a strange sight.
“ Coming out into the fields I catch sight of two odd acquaintances, incongruous companions from a farmhouse down Kenyon Road. A beagle dog and a large, yellow cat are trotting side by side. I often see these two animals sitting close together in the dooryard of the farm, Apparently the cat grew up with the beagle. I knew from the time it was a small kitten. It seemed to fancy itself another dog or its companion another cat. I watch the two-the beagle plodding stoically along. The cat with mote dainty steps keeping pace now beside it, now just behind. … Wherever the beagle pauses the cat rubs itself against it. Now it rubs its back under the beagle’s chin. …I follow the advance of this oddly assorted pair. I see hem disappear from sight into the edge of the woods where Fern Brook flows.

No comments: