Monday, January 19, 2009

You May Agree

You May Not Agree Earl Plato

So I am a loner at times. At the Wings of Paradise Butterfly Conservatory in Cambridge I preceded my wife and friends and wandered into the two collection rooms all alone and got lost. Lost in thought that is. In museum settings I like to ramble at my own speed and level of thought. The strange looking insects and marvellous butterflies made me think. Did these insects with their unusual structure and brilliant colour patterns just happen? Every so often I contemplate who we are and where we came from. Many friends give me a simple answer. “Plato, we’ve just evolved. That’s it.” Do you know about the basis of evolution? Where did life, human life, come from if not from God, the Creator? Charles Darwin in 1859 gave us an idea that God was not needed to explain the diversity of life on earth. Life could spring up from non-living sludge seemed to be the way. Ancient Greek philosophers likewise had preached “spontaneous generation.” Not this Plato. One I am not Greek or a philosopher. Two - I know I am not a scientist but I prefer to believe “life comes from life.” Three. I believe in a God Creator, Father of the universe. That faith gives me a reason to believe in a Saviour who cares about us. Sludge doesn’t. The more I observe nature the more convinced I become of pre-existing intelligence. The late naturalist Bert Miller once said to us youths. “Lads, look at this masterpiece.” There under the magnyfying glass were the delicate patterns of unique snowflakes. He added, “No two alike. Amazing!” Bert believed in the Genesis concept that man is created in the image of God. The concepts of Good and Evil for us human beings didn’t just evolve from primordial sludge, did they? Visit our Butterfly Conservatories in Niagara Falls or Cambridge and be amazed at the diversity of creation.

No comments: