Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Spring Spin

A Spring Drive Earl Plato

Took a spin with Pastor Dan this first day of Spring. Just a drive on a beautiful day. Saw a few snow geese on the west side of Port Colborne. Robins were here and there. We drove past Morgan’s Point. This is where we have seen bluebirds in past years. Not yet. On to Highway #3 and back east to Biederman Road. Hey, this is where we used to head into Wainfleet Marsh. We drove in. Yes, I’ve been lost in the marsh despite my claim “I know where I am going.” We turned around and headed a little further east to Erie Peat Road. This was it. Here the road ends at the N.P.C.A.’s sign: WAINFLEET MARSH. This where I’ll walk north this spring. Pastor Dan saw it as a place where he and his wife, Nancy, could find a peaceful place.
Heading out this afternoon to the Short Hills Provincial Park. Camera in hand you know where Elaine and I are going. That’s right, the waterfalls. A great day let’s hope for some good shots.
***
Unbelievable weather. We asked the saleslady about the sudden change in the weather. From a balmy Friday to a snowy Saturday. We were in Stratford, Ontario.
“Look where we live,” was her reply. “This snow is from Lake Huron. We are in the ‘Snow Belt.’ But there’s Lake Erie to the south and Lake Ontario to the north east.
Stratford weather, you never know.”
The cost of accommodation was right at the well appointed Festival Inn. A week later when April arrives the cost of a night more than doubles. John drove the four of us along the great Lakeside Drive past the Avon Theatre and along the Avon River. Lakeside Drive? Yes, they call this part of the Avon - Lake Victoria. Mallards and Canadas were there in the river. Swans? Not so. We were a week too early. Next week they would take them out of winter’s quarters. They have a colourful ceremony accompanied by the Perth County Pipe Band. They will be given the freedom of the Avon River. What beautiful, graceful birds.
Despite the abrupt change in the weather I convinced John to drive 60 km to Bayfield on Lake Huron. I wanted to show them the giant windmill there. Then we would head north to Goderich for a neat lunch place.
Hey, it snowed 4-5 inches over night. We headed northwest on Highway 8. No real problem so far. Drifts inched their way on to the highway. Then we turned off at Seaforth on to County Rd. 3. Mistake. John is a good driver. Now the encroaching drifts, several inches high, crossed the road. The road disappeared at times and there was an occasional ‘white out.’ Elaine said, “Let’s turn back!”
We didn’t but we didn’t see the windmill. It was located in the back roads. We didn’t stop to see the shops at Bayfield. The Blue Water Highway was clear. We did have our lunch at the shop on the circle. I had a salmon quiche and a Caesar salad. I was happy but I am afraid I had upset my wife. We headed quietly back to Stratford on Highway 8. All was clear.
There are things - nature wise I want to see in the Stratford area. Maybe in the late Fall when the price at the Festival Inn is suitable.
***
Apologies to Bill Morkem of Ridgeway. I spelled his name wrong. I was principal of Ridgeway School and had his children. No excuse.
***
Marcy Wood? I have promised various people that I would take them for a ramble in these beautiful woods this spring. Hopefully, the Bert Miller Nature Club, will still be able to lead nature-loving people through this private setting. If it’s eventually sold to private interests, that’s a bridge we will have to cross.

No comments: