Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Not Just A Tree

Sassafras - Not Just Another Tree Earl Plato
You never know. Since I have been writing the nature column for the Review for many years I still expect to be surprised. Jack Frazer who lives on St. Patrick Avenue in the Falls called the other day. Think big, Earl. In my recent article on the Sassafras tree I thought small. That’s based on my personal knowledge. Decidedly wrong. Jack has a sassafras tree some fifty feet tall and two feet in diameter! He invited me down to see it. “How old?” I asked. “Some fifty years old.” I believe he dug up a small sapling in the same area where we found some little paw paw shoots with Ernie Giles years ago. Jack, you surprised me. Weather permitting I’ll be down to see your great Carolinian tree.
A reader called to remind me when you crush a fresh sassafras leaf you get a delightful aroma. Good memories, eh? Again, sassafras tea any one?
***
What a cardinal fix! Over twenty cardinals feeding at the Henningham’s feeders on Bertie Road. The buff-brown females outnumbered the bright red males disproportionately. Why? I don’t know. Owner Bud had already fed the birds twice that day. He wasn’t finished. Pat and Bud are the epitome of wild bird lovers. Suet balls, tree feeders and ground trays in a sheltered area facing south. A downy woodpecker was at the suet ball, cardinals were swarming the tree feeders and four mourning doves scratching at the ground level on a very cold January afternoon.
Cardinal fix, yes. What do we know about cardinals? The Audubon Guide says, “Cardinals are aggressive birds.” Not this frigid day. They seemed to be all feeding amicably at the Henningham feeders. The Guide goes on to add, “They occupy their territory year-round.” Where did these birds go to after their afternoon feed. Each to his own territory we believe.
Cardinals are in the Finch family and feed mainly on seeds. I know that Bud and Pat spend a sizable amount yearly on bird seed. They understand that once you make the commitment to feeding songbirds you must be faithful. Cardinals sing all year around. Both sexes are good singers. The name origin you probably know. The species is named after the red robes of Roman Catholic cardinals.
Question to local senior citizens. Do you remember lots of cardinals around when you were young? I didn’t. Audubon Guide again says, “... into Southern Canada in recent decades.” The species is expanding its territory in the Northeast. That’s okay. Enjoy your feathered friends.

No comments: