Friday, January 16, 2009

Last Fall

Fox Trot Trail Last Fall Earl Plato

It’s been at least four years since I walked Fox Trot Trail at Marcy Woods. Bud and I rediscovered this old pathway this November. I wanted to update my map of the DiCienzo’s property made by Neil Reichelt . I had forgotten that it was beyond the eastern gate of the boundary of Marcy Woods but still part of the Woods. We did not enter the grown over path. We had spent two hours already. We would return another day. Good memories of this trail with naturalist Ernie Giles. Memories of Giant swallowtail and Spicebush butterflies, of young Tulip trees, and a pond with a different growth of duckweed. Beyond to the north was a trail leading into the wetlands and who knows where. We named the trail “Fox Trot” because of the numerous fox feces on the trail. The map has been redrawn by Neil.
***
We were away for two weeks out west. Did we have an Indian Summer while away? No one I asked seemed to know. At Marcy Woods this past week I saw chipmunks still scampering up and down fallen trees. To my right a gray squirrel launched itself from limb to limb and peered down at us. Were these the last days of a departing Indian Summer? It was a bright crisp morning in the Woods. I reflected on the Marcy family. The late Dr. George Marcy and his wife Elizabeth could have been enjoying American Thanksgiving at their Abino Hills farm. I can picture roast turkey - light meat and dark- the dressing, gravy, the sweet potatoes, the cranberry sauce, and the pumpkin pie. Back to reality, eh. What is your definition of Indian Summer? Some say that those few sunny days after a heavy killing frost is an Indian Summer? Let me know if we already had it.
***
My nature writer mentor, Ed Teale, asked the question. Have you ever seen a red squirrel scampering on the ground? Gray and black squirrels I have seen often on the ground but the smaller red guys always seem to be up in the trees. Teale said that except at the time when nuts are ripening at their peak do you see the red squirrel in awe-inspiring nervous energy racing up and down the trunk of a home nest. He’s only on the ground briefly as he is collecting food for the winter. He is always on defence of his territory. Grays and blacks look out!

No comments: