Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fox Trot1

Trail Wood5.09 Earl Plato

Edwin Way Teale and wife Nellie were in love with Trail Wood. He quoted the famous Ralph Waldo Emerson who expressed in the words: “Thank God I live in the country!”
From his log of February 22 Teale wrote as follows: “ New snow covers the frozen slush this morning in another of those abrupt reversals of the February weather. The birds are waiting for me when I shovel out open patches and scatter seed densely across them….”
February 23 “ The night of the fox. What did it do? What adventures did it have? About half past nine on this clear winter morning, I set out over the snowy fields on a little adventure of my own. I begin following the shifts and windings of the fox’s trail, reading as I go the story of activity that was hidden by the night but is recorded by paw prints in the snow.”
Writer’s note: I will share Teale’s walk as he follows the tracks of the fox. It will be several articles in total

No comments: