Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tracking the Red Fox at Trail Wood

Trail Wood6.09 by Earl Plato

Trail of the Red Fox with Edwin Teale
Writer’s note: Now is the time to do some animal tracking.
in our Niagara area. I have three tracking Guides - The big Peterson Guide, the small Track Finder and my third loaned to a friend. I know the tracks of several local animals including the opossum. Tracking can be fun but watch your steps.
Let’s follow Ed Teale now.
“ I first pick up the trail where it leaves the crisscrossing tracks on the terrace and descends toward the brook along one of the paths of my Insect Garden. It circles the sundial and turns aside where the animal investigated a hole in an old apple tree and thrust its nose into a little cavern among the roos of an ash tree. It takes a shortcut under the spicebushes and crosses Hampton Brook. I see where the fox has crossed the stream and halted at a small opening, eight or ten inches across, where the snow and ice are melted and sunshine blinks in bright little flashes on water bubbling from a diminutive spring. Here the tracks of the fox and the tracks of birds intermingle. Both have paused at the spring to drink.

No comments: