Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stops 2&3

Trail Wood #105 Earl Plato

Stops 2 & 3 at Trail Wood, May 9th
“ Stop 2. The beech leaves are off their twigs at last. All winter on this sapling tree beside the rail the pale, tan flags of the slender, last year’s foliage have fluttered in the wind. Now the swelling of he buds has loosened their grip upon the twigs.
Stop 3. At the edge of the woods I pause to listen to the clear call of a little tufted titmouse. It is repeated endlessly. The sound comes to my ear with small variations. Sometimes it is “Cheer! Cheer! Cheer!” Sometimes “Chew! Chew! Chew!” sometimes “Hear! Hear! Hear!” At other times it is more nearly like Year! Tear! Year!” In whatever form it arrives, it rings out among all the bird sounds around me. I remember an experienced field ornithologist who once told me he had found that he saw
forty-five percent of all species he would encounter on a given day in spring during his first hour.”
Next Stops 4 & 5.

No comments: