Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blossom Time

Trail Wood #110 Earl Plato

It’s blossom time in Niagara this week. Apple, peach. And cherry are in full bloom. So it was in Trail Wood those many ears ago.
“Here downwind from an old apple tree I check my walk in the midst of a shower of blossoms. Petals stream toward me, swirl around me, scud past me. They unroll in a thin carpet of white over the green of the grass.
For a week now fruit bearing trees along the walls and near the brook and scattered through the woods - chokecherries and wild plums and seedling apple trees - have reached the the height of their blooming. One lone pear tree living out its life rooted close beside te north wall has lifted in a towering, foaming fountain of white. Rounded apple trees, remnants of an earlier orchard, transforming from glossy green to shining pink-tinged white, rise in billowing clouds of blossoms.”

No comments: