Saturday, May 9, 2009

Seven Stops - stop Oner

Trail Wood #104 Earl Plato
For almost twenty years I wrote a weekly nature column for the Niagara Falls Review. Edwin Teale’s writings were often my inspiration. In a May 9th log he told of seven stops in Trail Wood. Some years back I wrote of seven steps in beautiful Marcy Woods one May day. Here is the first part of Ed Teale’s offering entitled “ The Walk of Seven Stops.”
Stop 1, I stoop to tie my shoelaces on a woodland trail and in consequence see something I otherwise would have missed. It is a small cushion of shaggy moss grow on decaying wood. The leaves all turned to one side suggest scythes or brushes. Children have fancied they resemble duck heads or soldiers with lances marching to war. The common name for the primitive plant is Broom moss. Its scientific name is Diorama solarium. “
Next - Steps 2 & 3

No comments: