Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Trail Wood Redpshouldered hawk

Trail Wood #19.09 by Earl Plato

Writer’s note: Apparently many of the readers of my “Nature article “ blog like my offerings of Edwin May Teale’s daily log write ups. I will continue to do so. Make a comment anytime if you wish,
“… the hours pass on as Nellie and I follow the old trails. Visit old friends among the trees, note the effects of winter and its storms. The day is filled with sunshine; the mercury is rising.
We find the red-wing blackbirds scattered over the lowland woods, We listen to the scream of the red-shouldered hawk above the trees. We see an emerging woodchuck nibbling on tender leaves of the new green grass. We catch the richly nostalgic scent of the warming soil, the reviving earth. We stand beside the widening band of open water along the edges of the pond. We notice how transparent it is after the months of calm beneath the ice.”
Writer’s note: I have seen only a few red-shouldered hawks in Niagara and New York state. Thanks to my slide from my Cornell collection I include it

No comments: