Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chestnt Blight Revisited

Trees Earl Plato


I stood with the Park Ranger in Shenandoah National Park several summers ago. We were standing on the Blue Ridge in the northern mountains of Virginia. The cheerful, rotund park officer commented, “Isn’t it a shame?” I knew what he was talking about. All along the ridge we viewed young healthy, seemingly thriving, American chestnut trees. The ranger said, “That one there looks like a good specimen but it will start dying soon. See those stumps down the way? What magnificent trees they once were. Probably 60-70% of the trees on the Blue Ridge were chestnuts. First happened back in the thirties when the blight hit.” I inquired about chestnut blight resistance trees being grown presently. “They are.” he said. “I can hardly wait to see their return.” He had photos of those magnificent chestnut trees in the late 1920’s. The spreading chestnut tree was a great sight as is the towering elm which has suffered greatly in Eastern North America from the Dutch Elm disease. The University of Guelph arboreal scientists are working on developing disease free elms and they are succeeding. The late, famed Guelph scientist Dr. Henry Kock‘s notable research work there still goes on. Great!
Note: Sadly Dr. Koch has passed away. Hopefully his work still goes on.
***
To walk in the woods such as Marcy’s brings peace of mind.
“Cast cares aside and solace find.
This is no place to plot and scheme
But place to think perchance to dream.”
No Hamlet I, but on walks in Marcy Woods I often stop and look and perchance to dream. One blustery spring day the winds sweep down through beginning leafing tree to tree along the edge of the great sand dune to my right. The big hemlocks to my left hardly move despite the increasing force.
The trees around me and above on the slopes and crest are still virtually leafless skeletons. The maples, beeches, and oaks reveal all their differences. I look to my left on that Lower trail of Marcy Woods as I trudge along then I stop. I recognize all around me at Twin oak Hill the stolid black and red oaks standing in their structural poses, seemingly oblivious to the winds. As I round the bend and head southerly there are the leaning trunks of the great, gray birches. The sound of the winds dies away in this protective part of the trail. This is the time of budding leaves. It is still time to see the framework of each deciduous tree that was once lost in its clothing of green in summer. Stop and scan each tree as it takes on new individuality through curve of limb, tilt of trunk or openings or subtle markings. I love this opportunity to see the deciduous trees in this spring setting. Yes, I stop for a moment at the towering Tulip tree. One of my favourites. I look up. High in the branches in the maze of the topmost twigs are remnants (calyxes) of the base of its distinctive flowers. Many are still clinging tightly. Soon new buds will emerge and force their stubborn hold and they too fall.
Perchance to reflect in this peaceful setting. I believe that some of these great oaks have been here before the coming of the European settlers. Those earlier trees in Niagara provided the settlers with shade and lumber, firewood and material for a thousand-and- one home-crafted aids from axe handles to bobsleds. But two of the largest and most valued trees are all but gone. Those were the American elm and American chestnut. All but wiped out by the Dutch elm disease and the chestnut blight we are told of their weathered remnants forming stark landmarks in area fields and woods. 2006 will see the gradual return of these two of the most beautiful trees of Niagara, the American elm and American chestnut. Believe it! Think about it. I should live so long.

No comments: