Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sketch in Nature. Why not?

The Garrison Road School Gang, all five of us and our wives, just came back on September 21st last year from the Thousand Islands of the St.Lawrwnce River.. We took the three hour boat tour. Beautiful weather and a most beautiful setting. We passed the nests of one of my favourite birds, the osprey. That’s my drawing below. Here is a flashback article.
Like to draw birds? I’ve got the perfect place. It’s the second floor of the Buffalo Museum of Science. Take your sketch pad and find an appropriate mounted bird specie and take a seat. I chose an osprey perched on a branch. ( I added the fish). I have visited this ornithological section many times over the years. It’s a usually quiet place. The late Fort Erie naturalist, Bert Miller, encouraged me to draw birds. I was only ten years old and that early start stayed. I still sketch when I am alone. Encourage your children to sketch in nature, why not?

No comments: