Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2009 Marcy Woods has been Saved!

Marcy Woods. That’s a place dear to many of us. I have been “Marcyized”. My little office is replete with shots of the precious woods. I have my favourite pics enlarged and plaqued. There’s the cabin, two of my grand daughters sitting in a bed of Marcy trilliums, the pristine lake front, the bridge, the twin oaks of he Lower Trail, the Marcy steps to the higher level, and many more adorn the walls. Friend, Neil Reichelt, made a little sign for me to put on the wall, Marcy Woods 1985-2002. Why 2002?
I visited Marcy Woods (Abino Woods) with the late Fort Erie naturalist Bert Miller as a ten year old kid. I was with him when he transplanted Wild ginger at the base of some of those trees. The years passed. Then in 1985 I met Dr. George Marcy on the Halloway Bay Road. He invited me to sign in at the farm and tour the woods. Friend, Tim Seburn, told me shortly after to ramble Marcy (Abino) Woods as he had been doing. He said, “You’ll love it.” I did and a love affair for me began with a special place, Marcy Woods.
Why 2002? I thought we, the nature loving public, had lost the Woods that year. Spring 2003 will bring the answer. Theres’s room for more than 100 plus Marcy Woods lovers on Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m.
Where? In Stevensville, at the Fort Erie Conservation Club, 2555 Ott Road. Bob McDonald of CBC’s “Quirks and Quarks” will speak. Bertie Elementary students, who made the excellent video on Marcy Woods, will be recognized along with political dignitaries who have supported the purchase of this Carolinian gem.
Marcy Woods has been saved - Great news here in 2009
The DiCienzos of Niagara Falls purchased the Woods and are preserving it. Yes, I still arrange for walks once again.

No comments: