Friday, July 31, 2009

Bluebirds

NNDec.28.06 Earl Plato

I have received more calls and personal connections this year about our bluebirds than ever before. Groups of ten or more at one time have been sighted in late Fall. To those bird watchers In Fort Erie and environs do you believe the following statement? “Bluebirds have made a promising comeback with the help of man-made nesting boxes.” Several years ago I heard of Rob Eberly and his passionate desire to re-establish blue birds through the placing of bluebird boxes in the area. I came to call him “Mr. Bluebird man” and rightfully so. With Rob’s help and dedication bluebird boxes have appeared throughout our community especially in rural areas where these beautiful birds really thrive. Do bluebirds have more than one nesting in a season in Niagara? Call me at 905 894-2417 or e-mail me plato1@cogeco.ca if you know
***
Dino DiCienzo Jr. informed me in mid-December of an old problem with Marcy’s Woods. ATV’S.! The Bert Miller Nature Club had planted some 500 trees on the sand banks some years ago. Chance of survival? Not much when trespassing ATV’S run their vehicles on the dunes and rip our little plantings out. I quote from Dino Jr.’s e-mail to me, “This fall brought a few ATV’s. We were able to catch two of them. A different ATV rode up and down the dunes numerous times but by the time I got out he was at Sherkston ( I couldn’t find him ).” Note: Dino Jr. made the comment that the ATV use is still low compared to before. Thanks DiCienzos for trying to protect the forested dunes of Marcy Woods. Final word from Dino Jr., “Spring will be here before we know it so let’s get ready for some tours.” Yes, I’m looking forward to those times. I now have a map to help on tours.
***
Two nature questions: Jim Westhouse at Crystal Beach Timmy’s asked me. “Why so less Purple loosestrife in the Town this year?” He’s right. What are the reasons?
Secondly I received calls from two different places in rural Fort Erie about ticks. “Never seen so many ticks before. My dog was covered,” was one callers concern.
Again let me know your comments.

No comments: