Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Woods

The Woods Earl Plato
Amazing Grace! How sweet the headlines of September 2nd. “Province takes charge of Marcy’s Woods.” Following is an article submitted but not printed by the Review at my request. It was my farewell to Marcy’s Woods.
“Could this be it? The last ramble through Marcy’s Woods on this day -July 24th as Rob and I walked the Lower Trail. In past years Stinging nettles grew up on the path and made you wary of contact with them. Not this summer. The nettles were still there but off to the sides. To make sure this walk wouldn’t be too peaceful a myriad of mosquitoes dogged us along the way. As usual Rob, our Ridgeway naturalist, had shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Not this old guy. Long sleeves and pants and some Off spray for me.
This was a bird day with Rob. No sooner into Marcy’s Woods and he ‘pished’ up a Tuffted Titmouse. Rob does this well and as he pished and pished I saw the delightful little crested bird gradually approach us. Curious as to whom was making the pishing sounds he came up and alighted on a branch just a few feet away. His curiosity satisfied he flew away. Then we heard the clear song of a Hooded warbler. I should say Rob did. The metallic “Chink -chink” sound made me think it was a chickadee. Not so, for there followed the loud “weeta weeta” song of the Hooded warbler. For several minutes Rob pished but this rare little songbird didn’t take the offer. Thank you Marcy’s Woods for supporting a home for these and other birds.
We paused at Marcy pond home of the distinctive Wood frogs and then
walked the trail to the cabin and across the bridge. It could be the last time for me. The rainfall of past days had helped numerous fungi to appear. But that’s another story. Farewell Marcy’s Woods for now.”
***
Thank goodness the DiCienzo family of Niagara Falls, Ontario purchased Marcy Woods. I am in contact with them. One son, Dino Jr. invited me to meet with him. We did and I am satisfied that Marcy Woods is saved. Here in 2008 I have seen over several hundred nature lovers walk those precious woods again. This past spring I entered the Woods at least twice a week. Thank you Lord.

No comments: