Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Snapper

The Big Guy! Earl Plato

Elaine saw it today, Tuesday, August 6, 2008. It was a big Snapping turtle under the Six Mile Creek bridge on the Fort Erie Friendship Trail. This is Snapping turtle territory. Over the years I have seen them here. Yes, I had my camera ready. Eventually it reappeared on the south side of the bridge. It disappeared too quickly for me. However, I share a Wendy Booth photo with you.
I have seen this mammal snap a thumb-sized branch in two so easily. Beware of his jaws. Snappers eat carrion, crayfish, aquatic plants, fish, birds, small mammals and even a human finger! Some consider the snapper meat is a delicacy and excellent soups are prepared from it.
This snapper was well over a foot in length. It had a huge head with powerful jaws. Remember it can not withdraw its head or feet for protection into its shell like our painted turtle.. Vulnerable? Yes.

No comments: