Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wolf Howl

Algonquin Wolf Howl by Earl Plato
I tried to set some goals for my nature writing each year.
One year my goal was to return to Algonquin Park for the August wolf howls. Wolf howls? Do you know what I mean? Thursday nights in August some of the park rangers arrange for a drive to a lake where packs of wolves will howl away the night. I called the park and a ranger said to get there early lke shortly after seven. We arrived at 6:15 p.m. First row ready to go. We had paid $6 for the privilege. There was ample room for 600 cars in the parking lots. Countless cars arrived. Darkness eventually came. Workers with flashlights began ushering the lot across the way. Hey, we were here first. Hundreds of cars headed out to the highway. I had been mislead! Not so. The first 300 drove past the site and turned around and came back, We simply headed down the road and ended at the site. We were the first car! Great! In a hout or so we heard the first howls that sounded so clearly. For over an hour we were serenaded by the Algonquin wolves. We were told that a group of rangers the previous week had ascertained where the pack would be for a Thursday. I wondered about rainy nights. Would there still be a wolf howl? Worth.the effort.

No comments: