Friday, November 21, 2008

Moose Time

Moose Time Earl Plato

Think big in Norway. Every 20 kilometres or so on major highway N6 a large sign greets you. On it is the head of a bull moose. Like our Ontario deer crossing signs a warning says, “Beware moose crossing.” I have learned that Norway is filled with these giant animals. “Don’t drive at dawn or dusk unless you have to,” cousin Erik said. “If you do, be alert.” Meeting a moose in a low lying sports car can be fatal. He told us of such an incident where the driver, an old friend, was killed as the antlered head of the bull moose crashed through her windshield.
I have stood next to a mounted moose at the Centre in Algonquin Park. It iowered over me. I experienced the same thing in the Trondheim museum this past May. Big? How big is big? Weight 635 kg. - 1400 lb. and at least 7 1/2 feet tall. What a giant animal! To meet such a bull moose on the highway or in the woods would be a memorable experience. I have been in a canoe close to a moose when she emerged from the lake. That image is still etched in my memory. In my workroom I have the framed print of the head of a bull moose and another less expensive print of a pair of moose entering a lake. I took a photo of a huge original painting in the Trondheim museum of an old Bull moose attacked by a pack of wolves. Yhree more recebt actual photos adorn my wall. Yes, I am hooked on the moose, the largest cervid in the world.
From my moose hunting friends and relatives I have learned that moose can be unpredictable during rutting season and therefore dangerous. It is normally a retiring animal and avoids humans.We drove over 1,000 miles through the heartland of Norway during the day, Alas no moose.
Yes, my Norwegian cousins served us moose. It tasted like beef and was delicious. A week before we arrived a cow moose and her young meandered through our cousin’s backyard in Asker only fifteen minutes from downtown Oslo! A beautiful country but think big when you drive. Big, meaning moose.

No comments: