Thursday, July 31, 2008

Memories of E.T.Seton - Naturalist

Wild Animals I have Known - Ernest Thompson Seton

Ernest Thompson Seton- Not SO!
Our centre of attention tonight - a great nature writer was actually named Ernest Seton Thompson. What gives?

BORN - August 14, 1860 at South Shields near Durham England
His father was very strict. There were 14 children
Ernest like the other siblings had to stand at attention. “He was like a Roman Emperor
I was punished many times.”
His mother made the difference; she was joyful, giving and so gentle and caring.
Ernest love his mother very much
NEW LAND In 1866 they emigrated to Canada.
It was a long boat trip. “All T remember were RATS!” now 6 years old.
His father had bought 100 acres of land in backwoods Ontario near Lindsay. He soon loved nature and said he wanted to be a naturalist even back then.
TEACHER - The log cabin school was a mile away through the woods. Ernest loved his teacher.
Miss Agnes O’Leary, who was but 16 years old.
She read from many books -one especially Polar Sea by the explorer Franklin affected him. Tears rolled down his face while others in the class thrilled to the idea of a hunt. Ernest remembered only the death of the noble, old mother bear.
For almost five years he had woods nothing but woods - he ands one of his brothers built a log cabin. He loved nature more and more.
TORONTO - His father an accountant had a new job in Toronto - so at the age of ten he found a new setting - the Don Valley. he loved the location - Lake Ontario - gulls - ravines and many songbirds - school this time, however, was different.
SQUINTY - They made fun of him at nis new school. It was big school but none of his brothers were in his class. “When I was four in England I was riding “horsey”on a high sofa. I fell on my head. I saw two two mothers and two clocks and two of everything!” My eyes became badly crossed and I had to squint. I was called “Squinty.”
ARTIST - Despite my eyesight I still continued to love books a favourite was my father’s Pictorial Book of Nature. I started sketching - flowers, birds and animals. Then I heard about Ross’s Birds of Canada. I wanted a copy. I saved my money until I had a dollar . I walked into the big book store and purchased my prized book. I was inspired to draw more.
DON VALLEY - At he age of 13 I built my own cabin in the valley. It was my favourite place toget away. I did more art - mostly nature but also city buildings and people. All the time I wanted to be a naturalist. I talked with my mother about my anbitions. My father overheard and said, “NO! You will become an artist!”
ART SCHOOL - “I won a gold medal at the Ontario School of Art and won a scholarship to study art in England.” He went to England but his father gave him little help. He studied at the Royal Academy of Art but was very lonely and almost destitute. He learned more skills but after the scholarship was over he returned home as a 21 year old. He felt like a failure to his father who had kept a list of all the money and things he had given to Ernest. His father demanded to be paid back in full for his support. His mother welcomed him back and continued to believe in his dreams.
Now back in Ontario he had no job. To him all wildlife was interesting - especially birds. “I will become a naturalist.” With his mother’s blessing he headed west to Manitoba. It was a happy time for Ernest. “I explored across the vast prairie - learning more and more. My poor health was over and for the next two years I was blessed with increasing strength. I had my books, my birds and animals, and my dreams.”
JOB & SUCCESS - Oficially appointed naturalist
for the government of Manitoba. He drew more and more - sold sketches and drawings - did well. paid his father in full ion return visit to Toronto. He missed his mother very much but returned west to his job.
In defference to her he changed his surname to his mothers. Born Ernest Seton Thompson he now became ERNEST THOMPSON SETON.
FAME 7 FORTUNE - He was invited to New Mexico by the United States government to write four volumes - Life History of North American Animals. He was now writing short stories and novels about wildlife and was getting widespread
fame. We will share with you a few excerpts from his most famous book, Wild Animals I Have Known. Here in 2008 it is still being reprinted.

No comments: