Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Little Nasty Ones

Black Flies bell.08 by Earl Plato

Yes, we are heading back to the Algonquin Park area
f or a week. Actually we are at Doe lake north of Huntsville. My question - “Will there be black flies there? I hope not. I have many bad memories of black fly bites. We will bring our Deep Woods Off with a strong portion of Deet in it. Our trip will be at the end of July and hopefully the end of the black fly season. No longer a northern fisherman but just a curious naturalist I investigated the life history of the infamous black fly. We stayed a week on he west entrance to Algonquin Park. I had been to the .
Park Centre earlier that week and asked a Park ranger about the life cycle of black flies. “Go to Whiskey Run creek and see them emerging from the iteswater. The mature flies lay their eggs on the bottom of this fast flowing stream only a few miles from our cabins. I did alone and wended my way down the twisting trail to Whiskey Run waterway. The eggs had developed to the grown stage and popped out of the water. Black flies all around me. Tens and tens of them kept emerging. I as there at the right time! Amazing! What adhesive had these eggs must have to stay attached to the bottom of this swift flowing stream. The ranger had given me a booklet about the life cycle of this nasty little insect. I can’t find it this July day but you know what we’ll head into the great Centre and pick up another one. Yes, no bites on me. I was prepared this time. Curiosity satisfied for now.

No comments: