Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Eagle Owl

Eagle Owl Earl Plato

I have been to Hell and back literally. My grandmother, Petra Andersen, and her two sisters were born in the little Norwegian village of Hell near the ancient capital of Trondheim. It was here on a mid-May day 2004 that two of my daughters, Elizabeth and Diane, and I found the Eagle owl.
Four days in Trondheim, a beautifully clean city, gave us time to explore. In the Natural History Museum at the University of Trondheim in walking distance we found Bubo bubo, the Eagle owl. English is Norway’s second language and the university student at the desk was most helpful. “On this floor to your left is a display of native birds, and downstairs is a special room.” The museum’s brochure had the Eagle owl as its logo! I was in Bubo country! We found three Eagle owls mounted and they were of impressive size. We recognized other raptors found back home. Then down the stairs to a special room. There greeting us was the face of the giant owl. It was an entire room devoted to the Eagle owl of Norway! In a diorama was a spectacular sight. An enormous Eagle owl with an eagle-like wing spread was suspended from the ceiling. In its powerful talons was a full grown red fox. Realistically frightening. Unfortunately all the writeups were in Norwegian. Shots of nests and young were portrayed in the displays including the prey of this largest of owls - lambs, fox, and small animals and old tales of human babies being carried away.
On our way back south to Oslo and my relatives’ homes we saw two nests. One was close to the N6 highway and I snapped it. It was a large nest but I think too small. Then daughter Elizabeth spied off in the distance an extremely huge nest. A home of Bubo bubo the great Norwegian Eagle owl? I think so. Thank you Pelham library for you started it all. My quest has ended. Enjoy nature while you can.

No comments: